Monday, 2 June 2014

Chelmsford Open

Returning to the unfairly maligned county where I spent my University education and somewhat ironically sporting my now ten year old Essex hoodie, I found myself in a leisure centre in Chelmsford along with team mates Louis and Yusuf (who mainly attends tournament as a way of getting invited to garden parties).

It was a relief after the British Open to be back at a smaller tournament with a better customer experience, this was more of a boutique set up with herbal tea stalls as well as our own Mill Hill design impresario Meerkatsu showing off his artworks and merchandise.

Louis was up first and his campaign was hindered when he fell foul of an illegal knee reap in his first match. While not malicious, the force of the opponent turn tweeked Louis knee to the point I was unsure if he should continue to compete. While he did go on the injury was a noticeable in his subsequent matches.

I am thankful to have a trained masseur on the team whenever Yusuf is about, I'm still suffering from adrenaline spikes in my first matches which leads to inevitable lactic acid build up in the forearms. I won my first match on points, using a lot of energy to hold down a strong opponent, leaving myself tired and in desperate need of a massage on my over pumped arms.

With matches finishing quickly and efficient table staff I was back on the mat six minutes later, visibly tired showing obvious weakness to my opponent. I managed to counter his sweep attempt forcing him onto his back on the edge of the tatami. When the match was restarted I was given inferior grips but gave up ground conceding points to a sweep, I worked myself back to top position but allowed to much space for the bicep ride and was suckered in by the triangle choke.

I was called back to the mat minutes later only for the referee to assert my need for another five minutes rest, at that point this was more welcome than any victory on the mats as I fought to oxygenate my tired muscles.

My third match was back and fourth and mainly notable for my opponent receiving a penalty for a neck crank as he attempted a can opener from within my guard. Later in the match I attempted an arm crush on my opponent, I heard a disconcerting crunch sound and let go of the hold appologising to my opponent. Both of these were the wrong things to do as the match continued and if I had lost it would be due to my lack of instinctive aggression.

I finally managed to get a submission win in the Bronze place match, torquing my opponents elbow from within a triangle. I had got a twenty minute break between matches and felt human stepping foot on the mat and as such was able to play a more confident attacking game.

So I made it to the bottom rung on the podium (so room to improve), and while writing this with delayed onset muscle soreness still racking my body I guess now is the best time to get back on the mats and start working towards the top for the next comp.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment