Turning 30 a few months back I was faced with the prospect of entering Masters divisions, I was a little concerned that this would be like selecting easy mode when playing a computer game. Not because of the level of competition but due to the decreased numbers of entries. After this comp I'm unconvinced but will continue with Masters at least for IBJJF comps in a vain attempt to boost my world ranking (160 - joint with like 20 other guys).
Being drawn with the extra match in a five person division I was hoping for 3 tough matches but with everyone on my side of the bracket failing to turn up I breezed into the final without a hair out of place. The final went well, I caught a triangle and pushed through to mount. Struggling to tighten while maintaining top position I switched to side control before taking mount and finishing with an Ezekiel choke (not something I use much at the gym as fist in windpipe is awfully unfriendly). So one shot, one kill, one shiney gold medal.
There were a few other UK types over for the comp, was good to see Austin and the 99 crew and I got to watch Roger Gracie team mate Oli Geddes further refine his half guard knee bar, cleaning up in the Lightweight Black Belt division.
I filled the four hour wait for the absolutes by pretentiously reading my Murakami book sitting cross legged on the bleachers, I couldn't help but notice the poor standard of medical provision at the tournament with someone having to wait several minutes for attention after a nasty footlock battle.
My thirst for action was barely slaked by the absolute where in a nine person division I made it to the final after winning only one match. This travesty saw the brackets being re-written after several matches had already taken place, seemingly in an attempt to get a late arriving Gracie Barra competitor back into contention. After a 20 minute break in which all our table staff and coordinator fussed around the administrative desk, the division recommenced with me in a semi final against someone who had likely already had two matches.
During the match I conceded a number of advantages, at one stage failing to position my weight I ended up mounted and then back to full guard in less than the magical three seconds of stabilised time. Ending up in guard my match starts for real and I instinctively switched the angle and started looking for options. I picked up a shoulder lock at the first step of my triangle omoplata sequence but was happy to get a victory against a tough opponent.
In the final I pulled guard against a guy twelve kg lighter than me and struggled to retain guard, I pulled off a deep half sweep but came up in a triangle position. Oli was coaching me to stay tight and calm but I failed to sufficiently control his hips which allowed him to attempt the same hip bump I used in my first match, I managed to block the sweep but lost the war as he cut the angle and finished.
So one gold, one silver, two wins, one loss. While I don't think I did badly and I could only deal with what was in front of me I don't feel particularly satisfied by the experience. However I don't think that Masters is easy mode there are a lot of tough technical guys, some with litterally decades of Judo experience who would disprove that assertion and with over eighteen guys in my division for the British Open next weekend I'll need to bring my A game to stand a chance.
Being drawn with the extra match in a five person division I was hoping for 3 tough matches but with everyone on my side of the bracket failing to turn up I breezed into the final without a hair out of place. The final went well, I caught a triangle and pushed through to mount. Struggling to tighten while maintaining top position I switched to side control before taking mount and finishing with an Ezekiel choke (not something I use much at the gym as fist in windpipe is awfully unfriendly). So one shot, one kill, one shiney gold medal.
There were a few other UK types over for the comp, was good to see Austin and the 99 crew and I got to watch Roger Gracie team mate Oli Geddes further refine his half guard knee bar, cleaning up in the Lightweight Black Belt division.
I filled the four hour wait for the absolutes by pretentiously reading my Murakami book sitting cross legged on the bleachers, I couldn't help but notice the poor standard of medical provision at the tournament with someone having to wait several minutes for attention after a nasty footlock battle.
My thirst for action was barely slaked by the absolute where in a nine person division I made it to the final after winning only one match. This travesty saw the brackets being re-written after several matches had already taken place, seemingly in an attempt to get a late arriving Gracie Barra competitor back into contention. After a 20 minute break in which all our table staff and coordinator fussed around the administrative desk, the division recommenced with me in a semi final against someone who had likely already had two matches.
During the match I conceded a number of advantages, at one stage failing to position my weight I ended up mounted and then back to full guard in less than the magical three seconds of stabilised time. Ending up in guard my match starts for real and I instinctively switched the angle and started looking for options. I picked up a shoulder lock at the first step of my triangle omoplata sequence but was happy to get a victory against a tough opponent.
In the final I pulled guard against a guy twelve kg lighter than me and struggled to retain guard, I pulled off a deep half sweep but came up in a triangle position. Oli was coaching me to stay tight and calm but I failed to sufficiently control his hips which allowed him to attempt the same hip bump I used in my first match, I managed to block the sweep but lost the war as he cut the angle and finished.
So one gold, one silver, two wins, one loss. While I don't think I did badly and I could only deal with what was in front of me I don't feel particularly satisfied by the experience. However I don't think that Masters is easy mode there are a lot of tough technical guys, some with litterally decades of Judo experience who would disprove that assertion and with over eighteen guys in my division for the British Open next weekend I'll need to bring my A game to stand a chance.
![]() |
| Before |
![]() |
| After |


No comments:
Post a Comment